Sunday, August 24, 2008

ചേട്ടാ.. :)

I guess we Malayalis are the only people on earth to do this.. Do what you may ask.. Well.. We're the only people on earth who address elder brothers and husbands by the same term..

Chetta, Ikka or Ichayan.. Could be your brother or your husband.. Imagine calling your husband Bhaiya..? or Anna..? :) They'd hit you!!!

This is seriously something I don't get.. How did this even happen..? Where in the path of evolution of the language and the region did we just overlook this slight mishap..? :)

My ancestors are going to hunt me down and kill me for sure.. But c'mon.. I had to let this out of my system.. Peace.. :)

6 comments:

Vidhya said...

hey febiie..
even v tamil iyers call their husband anna .. and also our elder bros by the same title :) wierd!!

Unknown said...

Haha :) Thats a good thought!

I think, often, people just follow the tradition without giving it any thought!

jinshy said...

hey.. febin happened to see ur blog..!!! very tru t way v call ikka or chetta watever it is..!!! itz a kind awkward wen v got 2 depth.. so better stay away..hhhahaaa..;)

Eternal Child said...

Calling fathers "anna" is a part of all cultures febin vadakettle - both my mom and dad used to call their dad' words equivalent of "brother". Husbands though i think is a mallu phenomenon. :P

Musthaq Mohammed said...

I Agree with Vidya...You are wrong

SHUBHAKAR said...

Even i thought about this long back... i refer'd some books and my conclusion is malayalam is mixture of dravidian and aryan culture...during the ancient times these words refer to beloved... i forget the book name but it is really interesting to read how the languages changed in a long run